‘If 60 wickets aren’t enough, scrap Ranji’: Dilip Vengsarkar slams selectors over Auqib Nabi snub | Cricket News


‘If 60 wickets aren’t enough, scrap Ranji’: Dilip Vengsarkar slams selectors over Auqib Nabi snub
Auqib Nabi, the Jammu and Kashmir speedster was the top wicket-taker in Ranji Trophy last season. (photo/IANS)

MUMBAI: Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar has slammed the Ajit Agarkar-led selection committee for ignoring Jammu & Kashmir seamer Auqib Nabi despite his extraordinary 2025-26 Ranji Trophy campaign while picking India’s squad for the oneoff Test against Afghanistan next month.Nabi finished as the leading wicket-taker in the Ranji Trophy with 60 wickets in 10 matches at a stunning average of 12.56 and was named Player of the Tournament after guiding J&K to their maiden Ranji Trophy title.The 29-year-old swing bowler delivered match-winning performances throughout the season, including 5-54 in the first innings of the final against Karnataka at Hubbali, match figures of 9-123 in the semifinal against Bengal at Kalyani, and 12-110 in the quarterfinal against Madhya Pradesh at Indore. His tally included seven five-wicket hauls and two four-wicket hauls.“The selectors’ decision to ignore him is absolutely absurd and baffling. What kind of selection is this? It is just not acceptable. It is injustice,” a furious Vengsarkar told TOI on Thursday.“Can you imagine Nabi’s plight right now? He took 60 wickets in the Ranji Trophy. He has worked hard for it and deserves a place ahead of everybody else.”The former chief selector went a step further, questioning the value attached to domestic cricket if performances of this magnitude continue to be overlooked.“If domestic cricket performances are not a criterion, then the BCCI should scrap domestic cricket,” Vengsarkar thundered.Nabi had also claimed 44 wickets at 13.27 in the previous Ranji season, but has consistently been ignored, reportedly because of concerns over his pace. That reasoning, however, does not convince Vengsarkar.“You pick a bowler for his ability to get wickets. He may bowl at 130 kmph, but the important thing is his wicket-taking ability. This kid has shown tremendous consistency in getting wickets,” he stressed.With Jasprit Bumrah rested for the Afghanistan Test, Vengsarkar felt it was the perfect opportunity to blood Nabi at the international level.“This was the ideal time to groom him. When a player is in form, you give him the opportunity then and there. You don’t wait until he loses confidence, fitness or hunger,” he said. Former India allrounder Irfan Pathan had also criticised the omission earlier this week, posting on X: “Do not discourage Ranji Trophy performances!”Former Mumbai captain Shishir Hattangadi echoed the sentiment.“Nabi’s exclusion is baffling. If Ranji Trophy is the yardstick, then honour it by recognising performances. You cannot ignore someone who has been so consistent in red-ball cricket,” Hattangadi said.At Tuesday’s press conference, chief selector Ajit Agarkar admitted Nabi’s performances were discussed.Instead, the selectors opted for Punjab and Gujarat Titans pacer Gurnoor Brar, who earned a maiden call-up in both the Test and ODI squads.A source close to the developments, however, defended the selectors’ call.“There is a highest run-getter and wicket-taker every Ranji season. Should selectors simply be replaced by stats analysts then?” the source said.“Gurnoor has done well for India A and also picked up 11 wickets in eight Vijay Hazare Trophy matches for Punjab. vs Mumbai.”